[Bloat] Getting started with sqm-scripts - latency good, bandwidth decimated

Brandon Applegate brandon at burn.net
Wed Jan 20 11:34:27 EST 2016

> On Jan 20, 2016, at 11:10 AM, Brandon Applegate <brandon at burn.net> wrote:
>
> I’m getting more confused as I go on :)
>
> So I’ve rebooted and the tc classes seem to have come back.  Since this is Ubuntu 12.04 - it doesn NOT have systemd.  I mention this because I see there is a systemd config in the sqm-scripts package.
>
> I have not added any hooks to run 'sqm start’ - neverthless - I have all the rules seemingly there on a fresh boot.  I also have a new ‘interface’ - ifb4eth0.666.  Since I’ve never messed with tc - I have no idea how/where/what is ‘saving’ these rules and making them persistent.  I’m struggling to use google and grep -ir to see where Ubuntu is saving this.

I see that the install for sqm-scripts puts a script in:

/etc/network/if-up.d

This is where my ‘persistence’ is coming from.

Sorry for the machinegun postings guys - I’m just underprepared to dig into tc.  My world is usually iptables, routes, etc.  Never worked much with tc and the unfamiliarity is frustrating me.

Having said that - I can see that this is excellent work.  I’ve had it on my todo for a while to reinstall the firewall with Ubuntu 14.04.  This will bring a lot of utilities and tools forward version wise and give me a better starting point.  I’m aware that I’m coloring outside the lines a bit to make this work as it stands.

Thanks for everyone’s patience and time so far.