[Bloat] Getting started with sqm-scripts - latency good, bandwidth decimated

Alan Jenkins alan.christopher.jenkins at gmail.com
Wed Jan 20 11:32:10 EST 2016

On 20/01/16 16:10, Brandon Applegate wrote:
> I’m getting more confused as I go on :)
>
> So I’ve rebooted and the tc classes seem to have come back.  Since this is Ubuntu 12.04 - it doesn NOT have systemd.  I mention this because I see there is a systemd config in the sqm-scripts package.
>
> I have not added any hooks to run 'sqm start’ - neverthless - I have all the rules seemingly there on a fresh boot.  I also have a new ‘interface’ - ifb4eth0.666.  Since I’ve never messed with tc - I have no idea how/where/what is ‘saving’ these rules and making them persistent.  I’m struggling to use google and grep -ir to see where Ubuntu is saving this.
>
> Furthermore - the scripts seem to be working now.  Slightly embarassing - it could be the result of having mucked with the gentoo script and having two many variables flying around at once.
>
> I currently lose a small fraction of my bandwidth - but bufferbloat gets an A on the dslreports speedtest.
>
> I’m going to concentrate on understanding how / where these rules are getting made ‘persistent’.

Excellent.

There's nothing that saves `tc` rules (like iptables-save +
iptables-restore).  The fact that you have "ifb4eth0.666" re-appearing
shows pretty clearly you've got something running "sqm start".

On OpenWRT the scripts run automatically when the network interface
comes up.  udev is different, although you could have something hooked
in like `/etc/network/if-up.d`.

Alan