[Bloat] bufferbloat.net is sorely missed.

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Fri Jun 10 14:23:00 EDT 2016

On Fri, Jun 10, 2016 at 11:05 AM, Dave Taht <dave.taht at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 10, 2016 at 10:13 AM, Outback Dingo <outbackdingo at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> On Fri, Jun 10, 2016 at 12:19 PM, Rich Brown <richb.hanover at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Dave,
>>>
>>> I'm worried that the bufferbloat project appears MIA right now.
>>>
>>> It won't take much time to get that github page
>>> (http://richb-hanover.github.io/bufferbloat-site) running as
>>> www.bufferbloat.net. To do this:
>>>
>>> - You would have to set up A records for bufferbloat.net to point to
>>> 192.30.252.153 and 192.30.252.154
>>> - Wildcard address (for www.bufferbloat.net) should CNAME to the
>>> 'bufferbloat.net' A record
>>> - I would add a file (named 'CNAME') to the gh-pages branch of the github
>>> repo at https://github.com/richb-hanover/bufferbloat-site
>>>
>>> One DNS TTL later, we should have a bufferbloat.net web presence back on
>>> the air.
>
> OK, tomorrow (or tonight) I will look into the redirect rich suggests.
> I note several other folk do have access to the dns server and if they
> beat me to it I won't mind at all....
>
> Toke has a preliminary conversion done but it lacks fixing the paths
> and bug issues as well (archive.org is also missing the issues db).
>
> https://kau.toke.dk/bufferbloat-archive/wiki/
>
>>> Longer term, I don't have a preference about the web publishing system: I
>>> just want us to appear alive. Thanks.
>
> I am only alive for small values of alive. I am glad "us" is still
> alive and kicking.
>

>> Is it that bufferbloat.net requires a permanent home ?? I can provide a
>> decent sized vm and dns at 0 cost for hosting the site
>> on my servers......
>
> Well, if I had any advanced plan, it was to convert to a static, git
> managed, hugo repo, and start using a CDN of some sort directly. I
> have plenty of linodes lying around, but if we could get worldwide
> distribution for a (cdns seem to charge for data transfer rather than
> storage), without even having a central site, that would be nice.

For example, cloudfront has "50 GB Data Transfer Out, 2,000,000 HTTP
and HTTPS Requests", for free for a year.

https://aws.amazon.com/free/

I sincerely doubt www.bufferbloat.net would do more than that.

I haven't looked into other CDNs and haven't the foggiest idea how to
set one up in the first place.

Presently I have going out $150/mo in linodes (mostly flent servers, 2
being used for web pages), $250/mo in the google cloud for openwrt's
build bot, probably $500/mo for lede's build bot...

and $190/mo coming in. I do hope to find more funding for lede's
stuff... (or get out of it after they've been better bootstrapped)

http://blog.cerowrt.org