[Bloat] fixing bufferbloat in 2017

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Wed Nov 23 13:24:16 EST 2016

On Wed, Nov 23, 2016 at 10:18 AM, Sebastian Moeller <moeller0 at gmx.de> wrote:

>> On Nov 23, 2016, at 19:09, Mikael Abrahamsson <swmike at swm.pp.se> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, 23 Nov 2016, David Lang wrote:
>>
>>> Deploy what we already know to work on the real edge devices and things get vastly simpler.
>
>         One problem will be that the actual edge devices are often ISP supplied and hence extremely cost sensitive; combined with increasing bandwidth in many ISP offerings, having  CPEs that can perform ingress shaping at “modern” rates looks challenging if the same CPEs also need to be very cheap. Egress shaping is a different kettle of fish though and for most asymmetric plans the CPE either should have enough punch or might be amendable to a BQL-like solution that could e actually relatively computationally cheap. But for that to happen we would need to convince ISPs and/or CPE chipset manufacturer (or better those engineers that create the drivers for the SDKs).

One benefit of the fq_codel on wifi work is that for homes that are
primarily wifi, you no longer need inbound rate shaping to work, you
can do it on the wifi naturally.

A long term plan might be to try to develop code that could be used at
the ISP, a transparent bridge that would take over customer rate
shaping and queue management. Hardware "good enough" to do this,
ranging from high end xeons to the next generation NXP products, to
mellonox's bluefield thing, is arriving, and I anticipate being able
to effectively fq and shape 1000s of customers with gear that costs
less than 10k - maybe not with linux, but with vpp and/or dpdk.

http://blog.cerowrt.org