[Bloat] Fixing bufferbloat in 2017

Aaron Wood woody77 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 26 20:53:19 EST 2016

> 5) But I'm not hopeful that any of the COTS router vendors are going to
> adopt these techniques, simply because they've been impervious to our
> earlier entreaties. That doesn't mean we shouldn't try again - it'd be a
> helluva competitive advantage to incorporate the 25-50 man years of intense
> software development that has gone into this work.

(painting with a very large brush):

But they aren't in the best position, really, to do this.  Mostly their
ODMs get the BSP Linux from the chipset vendor to work, slap a UI on it,
and call it a day.  And those BSPs are _ancient_.  I wouldn't be surprised
to see 2.6 still coming out on new models, let alone 4.0.

To get the COTS devices to have this, we need to be able to back-port
things far enough back that we can talk QCA, Broadcom, Marvell, RTLink,
etc. to incorporate them into the BSP.  But in the Sinclair vain, they like
their proprietary things (like the hardware offload engines that ignore the
linux stack as much as possible).

So, I think we need to talk to the _right_ people at the chipset vendors to
get traction on this.  Smaller COTS vendors might be swayable (part of
their value over the big companies).

-Aaron