[Bloat] How to "sell" improvement

Jonathan Morton chromatix99 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 28 14:26:42 EST 2016

> On 28 Nov, 2016, at 20:37, David Collier-Brown <davec-b at rogers.com> wrote:
>
> I'm using latency as the time from the request to the first response

> transfer time as the time from the first response to the last response, which may be 0, and

> sleep/think time as the time from the last response to the next request, for a given stream of requests and responses, AKA "transactions"

This is a useful set of definitions, though I would quibble that “transfer time” should also be measured from the request, not from the first response.

A more complete picture would add a measure of application-induced delay, which is visible to the user but not necessarily to the network.  It is influenced mainly by the end host's performance, not by anything in the network, and would presumably count as part of the “think time” for many applications.  Hence it’s not relevant for *our* objectives, but might be to others.

Incidentally, did anyone notice that Intel revived their old “optimised for the Internet” marketing fluff for their new Kaby Lake CPUs?  Last seen for the Pentium III, and just as disingenuous.

 - Jonathan Morton