[Bloat] Sidebar on s-curves

David Collier-Brown davec-b at rogers.com
Thu Oct 27 13:56:00 EDT 2016

On 27/10/16 12:56 PM, Dave Taht wrote:
> When you are on one side of an S curve, it's hard to see where it flattens out.
>
> I've been meaning to research and write a piece called "have we
> reached 'Peak Bandwidth'"? for a while now.
>
> My thesis is that what users actually want is short RTTs for
> interactive, once basic bandwidth needs are slaked, which starts to
> happen once you crack the largest typical load (which these days is 4k
> video streaming).
>
> gbit fiber is *way* on the unneeded side of the demand curve for home users.

It's not an s-curve, but Neil Gunther had done some very interesting
work on load/throughput curves, specifically including predicting the
drop-off after reaching 100%. Look for the Universal Scalability Law.

http://www.perfdynamics.com/Manifesto/USLscalability.html

I suspect it might be a variant of the same problem.

--dave