[Bloat] 22 seconds til bloat on gfiber?

David Lang david at lang.hm
Thu Oct 27 15:30:38 EDT 2016

On Thu, 27 Oct 2016, Dave Taht wrote:

> I am curious if studies exists of the actual consumption in typical
> 100mbit and above plans, vs 20Mbit, here and worldwide. Again, my
> thesis is, aside from business (and bittorrent) users, your typical
> 250mbit plan would have very close to the same consumption as the
> 100mbit plan. They'd use up 250mbits for a couple hours a month, but
> that's it.
>
> I am increasingly convinced that without a killer application that requires it,
> we've hit "peak bandwidth".

You sound like my College Professor from the early 90's who said that the
networks were now going to be so fast that there was no way that users would
need all the available bandwidth, and that it was up to the students in the
class to invent new uses :-)

Then the web happened.

any declaration of 'peak bandwidth' is only a temporary state.

David Lang