[Bloat] benefits of ack filtering

Luca Muscariello luca.muscariello at gmail.com
Fri Dec 1 05:45:19 EST 2017

For highly asymmetric links, but also shared media like wifi, QUIC might be
a better playground for optimisations.
Not pervasive as TCP though and maybe off topic in this thread.

If the downlink is what one want to optimise, using FEC in the downstream,
in conjunction with flow control could be very effective.
No need to send ACK frequently and having something like FQ_codel in the
downstream would avoid fairness problems that might
happen though. I don't know if FEC is still in QUIC and used.

BTW, for wifi, the ACK stream can be compressed in aggregate of frames and
sent in bursts. This is similar to DOCSIS upstream.
I wonder if this is a phenomenon that is visible in recent  WiFi or just
negligible.