[Bloat] benefits of ack filtering

Dave Taht dave at taht.net
Fri Dec 1 13:43:22 EST 2017

Luca Muscariello <luca.muscariello at gmail.com> writes:

> For highly asymmetric links, but also shared media like wifi, QUIC might be a
> better playground for optimisations.
> Not pervasive as TCP though and maybe off topic in this thread.

I happen to really like QUIC, but a netperf-style tool did not exist for
it when I last looked, last year.

Also getting to emulating DASH traffic is on my list.

> If the downlink is what one want to optimise, using FEC in the downstream, in
> conjunction with flow control could be very effective.
> No need to send ACK frequently and having something like FQ_codel in the
> downstream would avoid fairness problems that might
> happen though. I don't know if FEC is still in QUIC and used.
>
> BTW, for wifi, the ACK stream can be compressed in aggregate of frames and sent
> in bursts. This is similar to DOCSIS upstream.
> I wonder if this is a phenomenon that is visible in recent WiFi or just
> negligible.

My guess is meraki deployed something and I think they are in in the top
5 in the enterprise market.

I see ubnt added airtime fairness (of some sort), recently.