[Bloat] DC behaviors today

Dave Taht dave at taht.net
Sun Dec 3 23:19:33 EST 2017

Changing the topic, adding bloat.

Joel Wirāmu Pauling <joel at aenertia.net> writes:

> Just from a Telco/Industry perspective slant.
>
> Everything in DC has moved to SFP28 interfaces at 25Gbit as the server
> port of interconnect. Everything TOR wise is now QSFP28 - 100Gbit.
> Mellanox X5 cards are the current hotness, and their offload
> enhancements (ASAP2 - which is sorta like DPDK on steroids) allows for
> OVS flow rules programming into the card. We have a lot of customers
> chomping at the bit for that feature (disclaimer I work for Nuage
> Networks, and we are working on enhanced OVS to do just that) for NFV
> workloads.

What Jesper's been working on for ages has been to try and get linux's
PPS up for small packets, which last I heard was hovering at about 4Gbits.

The route table lookup also really expensive on the main cpu.
Does this stuff offload the route table lookup also?

Are there rate limiting features? (like on a per customer basis with
matches for ipv4 and ipv6 subnets)

> SFP+ 10gbit MIGHT become the target for the home Handoff, but I see a
> lot of startup ISP's doing inhouse built OVS controlled SD-WAN style
> deployments.
>
> I still however can't see a coherent edge at 10gbit ecosystem. Docsis
> 3.1 now has 10gbit channel support, which is fine and dandy but there
> is literally only the atom board I mentioned before as the only edge
> device out capable of doing that right now, and I am only seing that
> used in Expensive SD-WAN + NFV boxen for corporates. The Home 10gbit
> plus box is still up for grabs in the market and no one is biting.

I have never thought there was much of a market for gbit to or from the
home. 40Mbits is enough for nearly everybody until > 4k video with
smellovision and tactile feedback become a standard.

(I may regret saying this in 10 years)