[Bloat] benefits of ack filtering

Jonathan Morton chromatix99 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 12 17:03:24 EST 2017

The one "correct" argument against ack-filtering I've seen is that it
encourages (or rather validates) the use of extreme asymmetry ratios.

However, these extreme ratios are already in widespread use without the aid
of ack-filtering.  Even ADSL2 Annex A has, as its "ideal" sync rate, a 16:1
ratio, which Annex M modifies to under 10:1.  I fear we must conclude that
technical considerations are not the driving factor here.

A better place to sort out the asymmetry problem (as well as several other
problems of current interest) would be in a free, competitive market.
Sadly such a thing is rare in the telecoms sector.

- Jonathan Morton