[Bloat] I wrote a blog entry about devices I know of out there...

David Lang david at lang.hm
Fri Feb 3 15:11:18 EST 2017

On Fri, 3 Feb 2017, Rich Brown wrote:

>> On Feb 3, 2017, at 2:50 PM, David Lang <david at lang.hm> wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, 3 Feb 2017, Rich Brown wrote:
>>
>>> Friends in town say that Fairpoint recommends a Zyxel VMG4380-B10A modem for bonded pairs. They seem to have fairly good luck with it.
>>
>> I've got a VMG4325-B10A and it's horrific, still running a 2.6 kernel. I routinely have several seconds of buffering on my upload. according to the Zyxel site, the 4380 has a coax connection.
>
> Yes, that's why it makes sense to stick LEDE in series with the Zyxel, to let LEDE handle the queueing.

the trouble is that to do this, you have to set the outbound speed well below
the actual speed, and when you only have 2Mb to start with...

> I've actually never seen a Zyxel, so can't speak to the connectors. Hmmm...
> The Zyxel specs at
> https://www.zyxel.com/me/en/promotions/promotion_20130416_076615_me_en.shtml
> show the 4380 as having both a GbE connector (as if... :-) and a coax HPNA
> connector.

Yes, this series has a Gig-E as well as the DSL/Coax WAN connector(s)

It's really a horrible, overbuffered, limited firmware from the factory (the
"firewall" has three settings for example)

I'm looking for a replacement for it, and when you spoke of people recommending
it, I have to disagree with them.

David Lang