[Bloat] DETNET

Dave Taht dave at taht.net
Wed Nov 15 15:16:12 EST 2017

Matthias Tafelmeier <matthias.tafelmeier at gmx.net> writes:

> On 11/15/2017 08:45 PM, Ken Birman wrote:
>> I'm missing context.  Can someone tell me why I'm being cc'ed on these?
> right, I cced you so I'm liable to clarify.
>
>> Topic seems germane to me (Derecho uses RDMA on RoCE) but I'm unclear what this thread is "about"
>
> I perceived you as a strong kind of advocate for RDMA, at least that's a
> supposition I hold ever since having read your blogs/research around it.
> It was mentioned here in context with other existing or already
> pertaining technologies as to the purpose of improving network
> performance in general - especially for certain domains. Therefore, I
> thought blending/exchanging knowledge or inciting a discussion might be
> profitable for both worlds.

I'm notorious for trying to engage other folk slightly outside our
circle, thx for carrying on the grand tradition. I do admit it can be
quite a lot to get blindsided by!

> Originally, this ML is for the Bufferbloat project, but, occassionally
> it does get captivated ...

Well, the overarching goal here is to reduce latencies on everything
(hardware, interconnects, busses, drivers, oses, stacks) to the bare
minimum, on every technology we can reach, and leverage other ideas in
other technologies to do so, whenever possible.

If we had a name for that, other than bufferbloat, I'd switch to it,
because we are way beyond just dealing with excessive buffering after 6+
years of operation.

I will got read up on ken's RDMA stuff.