[Bloat] Seen in passing: mention of Valve's networking scheme and RFC 5348

Jesper Louis Andersen jesper.louis.andersen at gmail.com
Wed Apr 4 08:45:41 EDT 2018

On Tue, Apr 3, 2018 at 5:04 PM Jim Gettys <jg at freedesktop.org> wrote:

> ​To get to really good RTT's (with low jitter), you still need ​fq_codel
> (or similar).  You just can't get there by hacking TCP no matter how hard
> you try...

I agree with you on all points here. However, any change which patches an
existing bad system is far more likely to win in the long run, also if it
is bad in some way. Momentum is a killer of good solutions. I wish I had a
ramification for this observation, but I currently don't.

My hunch is that every new generation of young programmers wants to put
their mark on the system. As a result, they take what worked well on level
N-1 and proceed to build N on top of it. But the beanstalk never withers,
so each level is present in said stack, still, after all these years.

(Aside: The codel approach also has worked really well for me internally in
Erlang systems as a way to maintain queue load. Far better than many other
flow control schemes).