[Bloat] Seen in passing: mention of Valve's networking scheme and RFC 5348

David Collier-Brown davec-b at rogers.com
Wed Apr 4 09:39:07 EDT 2018

The phenomenon is called "lava flow", and is a classic anti-pattern
illustrated at http://antipatterns.com/lavaflow.htm
Their approach to fixing is ancient, though: there are
correctness-preserving refactorings for some of the problem space.

Alas, I don't know if middleboxes are correctable... maybe if they are
ones which only care about the IP layer?

--dave