[Bloat] [Cerowrt-devel] beating the drum for BQL

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Fri Aug 24 03:00:56 EDT 2018

On Thu, 23 Aug 2018, Dave Taht wrote:

> On the marvell front... yes, they tend to produce hardware that runs too
> hot. I too rather like the chipset, and it's become my default hw for
> most things in the midrange.

I checked my WRT1200AC and it idles at 8W. My similar Broadcom box idles
at 10W, but that one has a lot more on the motherboard plus 4x4 wifi that
tends to run very hot. I intend to try them under load though and see how
much power usage changes.

> Lastly... there are still billions of slower ISP links left in the
> world to fix, with hardware that now costs well under
> 40 bucks. The edgerouter X is 50 bucks (sans wifi) and good to
> ~180mbps for inbound shaping presently. Can we get those edge
> connections fixed???

There are indeed these kinds of slower devices, but it's also that they
tend to be the kind of device that last saw development a few years ago
and only reason it's still being new installed is because it's cheap.

In most of the world, customers do not rent the CPE so there is no cash
flow to the ISP to fix anything. So they tend to sit there until they
break.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se