[Bloat] [Cerowrt-devel] beating the drum for BQL

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Fri Aug 24 04:06:48 EDT 2018

On Fri, Aug 24, 2018 at 12:00 AM Mikael Abrahamsson <swmike at swm.pp.se> wrote:

> On Thu, 23 Aug 2018, Dave Taht wrote:
>
> > On the marvell front... yes, they tend to produce hardware that runs too
> > hot. I too rather like the chipset, and it's become my default hw for
> > most things in the midrange.
>
> I checked my WRT1200AC and it idles at 8W. My similar Broadcom box idles
> at 10W, but that one has a lot more on the motherboard plus 4x4 wifi that
> tends to run very hot. I intend to try them under load though and see how
> much power usage changes.

My ar71xx/ath9 hw - like nanostations - was below 2w. wndr3800 don't
remember, I think the the ethernet switch added quite a bit. But 8Ws?
not even close to that. A modern LED lightbulb eats that and sheds
quite a lot of light.

Random curiosity: what do various SFP+ interfaces (notably gpon) eat?
has anyone got a gpon interface for the omnia yet? I *hate* the need
for ONTs.

> > Lastly... there are still billions of slower ISP links left in the
> > world to fix, with hardware that now costs well under
> > 40 bucks. The edgerouter X is 50 bucks (sans wifi) and good to
> > ~180mbps for inbound shaping presently. Can we get those edge
> > connections fixed???
>
> There are indeed these kinds of slower devices, but it's also that they
> tend to be the kind of device that last saw development a few years ago
> and only reason it's still being new installed is because it's cheap.

with better software on by default. I fully expect my wndr3800s to see
service for another 10 years. The failure rate is amazingly low.

> In most of the world, customers do not rent the CPE so there is no cash
> flow to the ISP to fix anything. So they tend to sit there until they
> break.

There are two different debloating tactics to take then... but it's
late I gotta sleep.

CEO, TekLibre, LLC
http://www.teklibre.com
Tel: 1-669-226-2619