[Bloat] an observation from the field

Jonathan Foulkes jf at jonathanfoulkes.com
Tue Aug 28 14:22:44 EDT 2018

Dave, very interesting to hear. In my dataset, I find that non-technical users respond positively to the benefits of low-latency, even if the speedtest metrics show much lower numbers than their plan indicates. Stuff happens quicker, and more consistently,  therefore they are happy.

It’s the semi-techies and hard-core geeks that are a challenge, as they insist on getting the ‘speed’ they pay for, and no amount of explaining satisfies them.

Interestingly, we see some 200+ Mbps lines that show low bloat on the inbound leg with QoS off during tests, but if QoS is left disabled, speed is high, but real-world use suffers and QoS has to be reinstated on the inbound path. Seems the transient bloat on these lines affects usability to the point where users will now accept lower throughput in exchange for goodput.
We see this mainly on Cable systems, not so much on (well deployed) fiber.

I see the challenge as needing to continue to socialize the benefits of low latency vs capacity to the tech crowd. And I still think we need a good end-user accessible test that would prove that point in a way non-techies would get.

Cheers,

Jonathan Foulkes
CEO - Evenroute.com