[Bloat] when does the CoDel part of fq_codel help in the real world?

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Tue Nov 27 05:50:24 EST 2018

On Tue, 27 Nov 2018, Luca Muscariello wrote:

> link fully utilized is defined as Q>0 unless you don't include the
> packet currently being transmitted. I do, so the TXtteer is never idle.
> But that's a detail.

As someone who works with moving packets, it's perplexing to me to
interact with transport peeps who seem enormously focused on "goodput". My
personal opinion is that most people would be better off with 80% of their
available bandwidth being in use without any noticable buffer induced
delay, as opposed to the transport protocol doing its damndest to fill up
the link to 100% and sometimes failing and inducing delay instead.

Could someone perhaps comment on the thinking in the transport protocol
design "crowd" when it comes to this?

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se