[Bloat] when does the CoDel part of fq_codel help in the real world?

Bless, Roland (TM) roland.bless at kit.edu
Tue Nov 27 07:22:38 EST 2018

Hi,

Am 27.11.18 um 12:58 schrieb Luca Muscariello:
> A buffer in a router is sized once. RTT varies.
> So BDP varies. That’s as simple as that.
> So you just cannot be always at optimum because you don’t know what RTT
> you have at any time.

The endpoints can measure the RTT. Yes, it's probably a bit noisy and
there are several practical problems such as congestion on the reverse
path and multiple bottlenecks, but in general it's not impossible.

> Lola si not solving that. No protocol could BTW.

LoLa is exactly solving that. It measures RTTmin and effective RTT
(and there are lots of other delay-based CC proposals doing that)
and tries to control the overall queuing delay, even achieving
RTT-independent flow rate fairness.

> BTW I don’t see  any formal proof about queue occupancy in the paper.

It's not in the LoLa paper, it was in a different paper, but reviewers
thought it was already common knowledge.

Regards,
 Roland