[Bloat] when does the CoDel part of fq_codel help in the real world?

Kathleen Nichols nichols at pollere.com
Tue Nov 27 13:44:00 EST 2018

I have been kind of blown away by this discussion. Jim Gettys kind of
kicked off the current wave of dealing with full queues, dubbing it
"bufferbloat". He wanted to write up how it happened so that people
could start on a solution and I was enlisted to get an article written.
We tried to draw on the accumulated knowledge of decades and use a
context of What Jim Saw. I think the article offers some insight on
queues (perhaps I'm biased as a co-author, but I'm not claiming any
original insights just putting it together)
https://queue.acm.org/detail.cfm?id=2071893

Further, in our first writing about CoDel, Van insisted on getting a
good explanation of queues and how things go wrong. I think the figures
and the explanation of how buffers are meant to be shock absorbers are
very useful (yes, bias again, but I'm not saying you have to agree about
CoDel's efficacy, just about how queues happen and why we need some
buffer). https://queue.acm.org/detail.cfm?id=2209336

It's just kind of weird since Jim's evangelism is at the root of this
list (and Dave's picking up the torch of course). Reading is a lost art.

	Kathie