[Bloat] when does the CoDel part of fq_codel help in the real world?

Jonathan Morton chromatix99 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 27 13:59:07 EST 2018

> On 27 Nov, 2018, at 3:19 pm, Michael Richardson <mcr+ietf at sandelman.ca> wrote:
>
> If the drops are due to noise, then I don't think it will help.
> The congestion signals should already getting made.

If they are drops due to noise, then they are not congestion signals at all, as they occur independently of whether the link is saturated.  It's perfectly possible for these "random drops" to occur at a low enough rate as to still permit saturation, perhaps depending on which CC algo the sender uses.  In that case, you still want AQM.

 - Jonathan Morton