[Bloat] incremental deployment, transport and L4S (Re: when does the CoDel part of fq_codel help in the real world?)

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Thu Nov 29 08:30:17 EST 2018

On Thu, 29 Nov 2018, Jonathan Morton wrote:

> I have to ask, why would the network care?  What optimisations can be
> obtained by reordering packets *within* a flow, when it's usually just
> as easy to deliver them in order?

Because most implementations aren't flow aware at all and might have 4
queues, saying "oh, this single queue is for transports that don't care
about ordering" means everything in that queue can just be sent as soon as
it can, ignoring HOL caused by ARQ.

> Of course, we already have FQ which reorders packets in *different*
> flows.  The benefits are obvious in that case.

FQ is a fringe in real life (speaking as a packet moving monkey). It's
just on this mailing list that it's the norm.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se