[Bloat] vyatta in AT&T 5G gear

Stephen Hemminger stephen at networkplumber.org
Tue Oct 16 11:06:28 EDT 2018

On Tue, 16 Oct 2018 11:59:18 +0200
Stefan Alfredsson <stefan.alfredsson at kau.se> wrote:

> On 2018-10-16 11:31, Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 15 Oct 2018, Dave Taht wrote:
> >
> >> Vyos (the open source fork of vyatta) was one of the first to add
> >> fq_codel support... I wonder....
> >>
> >> http://linuxgizmos.com/att-releases-white-box-spec-for-its-linux-based-5g-routers/
> >>

> > Isn't Vyos just running the Linux kernel for forwarding? So they
> > received fq_codel for free when the Linux kernel got support for it?
> > They just had to make it configurable?
> >

> Yes, according to this blog post,
> http://www.five-ten-sg.com/mapper/blog/Bufferbloat%20solved%20with%20Vyos
>
> "Now that Vyos "helium" is available with a Linux 3.13 kernel, the
> fq_codel queueing discipline can be used to solve many bufferbloat
> issues. The nightly "lithium" builds contain my patches that allow
> fq_codel to be used via the native Vyos configuration system."
>
> Anyway it's nice to see the Vyatta heritage living on in it's various
> forms (the AT&T "production hardened" Vyatta, to the Ubiquity EdgeMax
> and some UniFi devices, to the VyOS open version and now the future
> plans with dNOS -> DANOS.
>
> /Stefan

There are two basic components to network OS, the control plane and the
data plane.  VyOs has the old V1 which is filesystem based control plane
and kernel dataplane. DaNoS has yang/netconf database based control plane
(in Go) and DPDK (or switch offload?) based dataplane.  Ubiquity redid
the control plane as well, and uses their own hardware for dataplane.

So more of "my grandfather's ax"...