[Bloat] vyatta in AT&T 5G gear

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Tue Oct 16 11:14:36 EDT 2018

On Tue, Oct 16, 2018 at 8:06 AM Stephen Hemminger
<stephen at networkplumber.org> wrote:

> On Tue, 16 Oct 2018 11:59:18 +0200
> Stefan Alfredsson <stefan.alfredsson at kau.se> wrote:

> > > Isn't Vyos just running the Linux kernel for forwarding? So they
> > > received fq_codel for free when the Linux kernel got support for it?
> > > They just had to make it configurable?
> > >

> > Yes, according to this blog post,
> > http://www.five-ten-sg.com/mapper/blog/Bufferbloat%20solved%20with%20Vyos
> >
> > "Now that Vyos "helium" is available with a Linux 3.13 kernel, the
> > fq_codel queueing discipline can be used to solve many bufferbloat
> > issues. The nightly "lithium" builds contain my patches that allow
> > fq_codel to be used via the native Vyos configuration system."
> >
> > Anyway it's nice to see the Vyatta heritage living on in it's various
> > forms (the AT&T "production hardened" Vyatta, to the Ubiquity EdgeMax
> > and some UniFi devices, to the VyOS open version and now the future
> > plans with dNOS -> DANOS.
> >
> > /Stefan
> >

> There are two basic components to network OS, the control plane and the
> data plane.  VyOs has the old V1 which is filesystem based control plane
> and kernel dataplane. DaNoS has yang/netconf database based control plane
> (in Go) and DPDK (or switch offload?) based dataplane.  Ubiquity redid
> the control plane as well, and uses their own hardware for dataplane.
>
> So more of "my grandfather's ax"...

so in other words we should have done a dpdk version long ago. And even then,
this white box brags of the "deep buffering" in the switch chip.

... and I have an initial report of 2 seconds of buffering on one of
the first 5G devices.

Sigh.

And what was so wrong with the "everything as a file" model??

double sigh.

CTO, TekLibre, LLC
http://www.teklibre.com
Tel: 1-831-205-9740