[Bloat] keeping the lights on at bufferbloat.net

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Mon Feb 4 15:29:50 EST 2019

And patreon is reporting "down for maintenance" as I write. While
we're doing ironic today, the other big grant we failed to get last
year was from the shuttleworth foundation - and that conf
call/interview took place during a 50 minute major internet-wide
outage ( http://blog.cerowrt.org/post/bufferbloat_on_the_backbone/ )
and I could barely hear or see the other participants (nor they, me).

anyway, I'm getting off my duff today to put in at least a grant
proposal to nlnet for getting the ns3 cake work done (under jonathan),
and another to maybe get babeld-dtls done (a vestige of the cerowrt
effort) with comcast... but still I'd kind of hoped that the fq_codel
for wifi work would have had every wifi, lte, and ethernet over
powerline vendor salivating to add it to their product soonest. I'm
really delighted by the penetration sqm and fq_codel and cake now
have, sad that we aren't seeing dsl ISPs in particular, mandating cake
and terribly disappointed by the early 5G results. Still... in 8 years
of operation we made a big difference in the internet and millions of
people now benefit in the OSX, IOS, Linux and freebsd worlds from an
AQM/FQ perspective and the world as a whole from all the wonderful
work done e2e with bql, pacing, bbr, etc. Perhaps, as Matt Mathis
said, 3 years ago "The tree is cut, it is falling", we need do no more
here.

Another irony today is GSOC expects a shiny logo to be part of the
application and we've never done that. Wish we'd done t-shirts and
coffee mugs at some point, also.