[Bloat] keeping the lights on at bufferbloat.net

Dave Taht dave at taht.net
Mon Feb 4 14:09:24 EST 2019

Jonathan Foulkes <jf at jonathanfoulkes.com> writes:

> Hi Dave, I just logged into Patreon and tried to set up a monthly
> donation, but I keep getting Internal server errors from their
> platform (tried different browsers as well), so heads up on that.

It was because they were having problems that I checked the account.

> I’ll try again later today and tomorrow if needed. But you might need to send a reminder once whatever is going on there clears up.

$30 in donations showed up immediately. (thank you matthew and richard!)
$7 to go. :) I know it's a modest amount to have angst over but at this
point given my other debt obligations it's best to have zero net costs
here.

I do not like discussing my finances but I just got thwacked hard from a
direction I should have expected by now.

> Thanks again for all you do,

Well, I haven't been doing much of late. After two grants and a contract
fell through last july (seeing both openwrt and cake ship two weeks
later was bitterly ironic then), and I gave up the yurtlab
($1100/month), I did manage to retain a portion of the basement at the
site in exchange for some work (which included rolling out 18.06.1
across the lupin campus), and I can keep that going so long as I keep
that network up to date. There's a bit of room to work down there (~450
sq feet) and I hope whenever the make-wifi-fast patches land I'll be
able to do some QA and measurements.

I'd given up then and sought employment aug-dec only to discover that
nobody in the bay area wanted my C, queue theory, ietf, or project
management skills, and I otherwise was frightfully obsolete. I long ago
needed to pick up go or python or rust if I wanted to continue
programming or find a mgmt role that made sense. A friend of mine opened
a restuarant which had some appeal for a time!

The *best* rejection I got over the course of 6 interviews was:

"fq_codel saved my marriage... but you are a rocket scientist, and we
don't need rocket scientists just now."

It is long past time for me to seek a new business model and monthly
income sources. I started a new semi-paid P/T gig a while back (the
"ipv4 cleanup project" - https://github.com/dtaht/ipv4-cleanup ) which
is keeping me *literally* above water - I live full-time on the boat
now, which is a heck of a lot cheaper than any normal housing in the bay
area. Except: the "bufferboat" also has some desparately needed repairs
pending and it isn't the most productive office environment.

I haven't put in for any grants yet this year. I mostly think it's time
to move on and do something else. I'd like to get a floor under some
other people and participate in GSOC, though, at least.

I think I can pull out of this in a few weeks overall, it was just this
morning was bad, very bad.