[Bloat] [Ecn-sane] My (controversial) position paper on TCP

David Collier-Brown davec-b at rogers.com
Wed Mar 20 17:42:45 EDT 2019

On 2019-03-20 4:29 p.m., David Lang wrote:

> On Wed, 20 Mar 2019, David Collier-Brown wrote:
>
>> On 2019-03-20 10:28 a.m., Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:
>>>
>>> This isn't a resource problem, it's a code problem. The IETF wants
>>> 10-15 year old hosts to be able to connect to a network and perform
>>> basic networking. It might not be very optimized, but the basic
>>> function should be there. New functionality can optimize for
>>> different factors, but making older host stop working is frowned upon.
>>
>> Fortunately this is a solved problem in capacity planning: you
>> replace machines often enough that they're not constantly out of
>> service being repaired. 10 to 15 human-years is the equivalent of 70
>> to 105 of the dog-years we use in this silly business (;-))
>
> I have quite a number of consumer devices from 2000 or earlier still
> running, consumer endpoints (aka IoT devices) do not get updated very
> much, if at all.
>
> David Lang

Interesting thought: I wasn't expecting consumer devices from 14 years
ago! What do you have?

In our house,

  * the cable modem is about a year old,
  * it's predecessor was about 5 when it died,
  * the old printer was 3 years old
  * the new one is about 4
  * my homemade PVR is about 6, and is starting to look elderly, and
  * the old cable box was about 3,
  * the new one about one
  * and my netbook is older than the PVR by maybe a year or so (;-))

--dave
(I intentionally skipped IOT devices, as I expect they could
change/pivot hugely about the time the market starts to mature,