[Bloat] ipv6 now disabled for lists.bufferbloat.net

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Sun Nov 10 13:38:22 EST 2019

On Sat, Nov 9, 2019 at 6:18 PM Michael Richardson <mcr at sandelman.ca> wrote:

> On 2019-11-09 1:56 p.m., Dave Taht wrote:
> > For no reason that I've been able to discern, for months and months
> > now, nearly any use of ipv6 as an email transport has ended up getting
> > the ipv6 address blocked in spamhaus's SBL listing, and thus a lot of
> > email has been blocked. IPv4, seems ok, but for all I know
> > whatever's triggering it only triggers when ipv6 is used. So I've
> > given up on ipv6 and switched it over to ipv4 only.
>
> I'm sorry to hear that.  can we still send to you on v6?
>
> Spamhaus is useless.  Discourage it as widely as you can. They seem to
> be on autopilot.
> I have blackholed a few IPv6 for destinations that I can't live without,
> and I've pushed ietf.org to whitelist me in to avoid their spamhaus
> dependancy.    The major problem is that the SBL listing uses a bunch of
> other listings which nobody maintains and which have some bogus rules.
> Like that SLAAC addresses as instantly suspicious.

I would just like to thank everyone that helped. Notably john levine
pointed me at:

https://www.spamhaus.org/faq/section/Spamhaus%20CSS#426

Which said that linode, specifically, has had a tendency to gain a bad
reputation in the
default /64 block, and that you should request a whole /64 so you
don't get caught
by collateral damage. So I just did that and hopefully will turn ipv6
back on later today.

(I have a tendency to do "IT stuff" in the wintertime, so, thinking
aloud, appreciating the help, and apologetic about the noise)

That said, well, I do kind of wish there was a way to get email
directly "home", like in the good ole days. I have a business class
static ipv4/29 from comcast, and have been thinking of finally
upgrading a few modems
to docsis 3.1 over the winter (any recomendations?), but sorting it
all out, oy. For example that ipv4/29 is only usuable on that local
"wire" and the actual IT area is 5 hops in, and port forwarding port
25,
not huge on. Similarly, perhaps I could get (overly) happy about
trying to use ipv6 as my default mx exchanger but I think that's out
of spec.

In particular, finding a modem that will somehow delegate more than a
/60 would be nice. (a /56 is allocated but I've not managed to get the
netgears I have to use it) I'm out of subnets. Maybe if I'm
getting static business class ipv6 now I could use more.

The vast majority of my campus traffic is ipv6 nowadays. It's kind of
amazing, actually. One of my fws is about 75% ipv6.

(my life is made more complicated by the fact that I have 5 comcast
links spread around campus, and use babel with SADR to manage the ipv6
connectivity,
 on a lot of unnumbered routers inbetween - and of course, run cake on
the openwrt firewalls in front of them)

IETF homenet has put out a spec for dns prefix delegation that I don't
think went anywhere, it looks like calling comcast is the only way to
get reverse dns setup, still.