[Bloat] Is still netperf a valid tool?

Toke Høiland-Jørgensen toke at toke.dk
Mon Jun 15 05:15:41 EDT 2020

Sergio Belkin <sebelk at gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
> I've seen that many of the recommended tools to diagnose/troubleshoot
> bufferbloat use netperf.
> Netperf in https://github.com/HewlettPackard/netperf has many years of
> inactivity. In fact, in recent versions of distros don't include it.
> So, my question is: is still netperf a reliable tool?

Reliable in the sense that it works and produces results that are likely
to be fairly close to the reality you want to measure? Absolutely.
Reliable in the sense that you can always rely on it being available?
Unfortunately not.

The latter is more of a licensing issue, though, which unfortunately
also means that it is not likely to be fixed... :(

-Toke