[Bloat] Still seeing bloat with a DOCSIS 3.1 modem

Aaron Wood woody77 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 25 11:44:30 EDT 2020

> DOCSIS 3.0
> I can
> >>
> >> I think that while PIE is "mandatory to implement" in DOCSIS 3.1, the
> >> ISP still has to turn it on? So maybe yelling at them will work? (ha!)

I've chatted with someone about it, and they seemed to think it's
suspicious, but I'm not going to push it further until I have modem showing
that it's in DOCSIS 3.1 for upstream.

I do need to see if I can sort out what the SB8200's status messages are:

CM-STATUS message sent. Event Type Code: 24; Chan ID: 48; DSID: N/A; MAC
Addr: N/A; OFDM/OFDMA Profile ID: 2
3.;CM-MAC=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx;CMTS-MAC=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;

> with

> https://forum.openwrt.org/t/comparative-throughput-testing-including-nat-sqm-wireguard-and-openvpn/44724

> >> My Turris Omnia is doing fine on my 1Gbps connection (although that
> >> hardly suffers from bloat, so I'm not doing any shaping; did try it
> >> though, and it has no problem with running CAKE at 1Gbps).
> >
> >       Well, doing local network flent RRUL stress tests indicated that
> >       my omnia (at that time with TOS4/Openwrt18) only allowed up to
> >       500/500 Mbps shaping with bi directionally saturating traffic
> >       with full MTU-sized packets. So I undirectional CAKE at 1Gbps
> >       can work, but under full load, I did not manage that, what did I
> >       wrong?
>
> Hmm, not sure I've actually done full bidirectional shaping. And trying
> it now, it does seem to be struggling...

That's definitely an option for me, as I don't have to worry about a 2Gbps
total traffic, only about 1.03Gbps (since cable is so asymmetric).

But I'm also not sure I want to go with another ARM box.  The small x64
boxes are looking like a much better long-term option.