[Bloat] Windows 10 updates multhread limit Feature request to Microsoft

Michael Richardson mcr+ietf at sandelman.ca
Sun Mar 29 12:51:12 EDT 2020

cloneman <bufferbloat at flamingpc.com> wrote:
    > I don't know if the Windows 10 updates multithreading problem is still
    > relevant for many users, but it certainly still affects me as user with
    > low bufferbloat, low latency, and only moderate bandwidth (50mbit , 4ms
    > idle, ~9ms loaded)

    > In any case, I have submitted official feedback to microsoft, as I've
    > exhausted any possible workarounds on my end short of implementing a
    > Windows update cache server on my LAN (go figure, apparently the cache
    > servers download with a small number of threads).

I guess either because the person implementing the cache system didn't work
as hard, or because they recognized they needed to do this in the "background"

    > After posting this link -- I'm done advocating for this issue. I think
    > valve steam has made some improvements, they still use many threads, but
    > somehow, it doesn't create as many issues.There seems to be no interest in
    > most discussion forums to explore this with any depth -- or even admit that
    > 20 connections to 1-2 servers is problematic.

This is where some of the desire to have a "worse than best effort" queue
came from :-)

    > Feedback hub link
    > https://aka.ms/AA7zg1r

Not a public link, I think.

What's sad is that Windows 2000 was the only implementation of the diffedge
that we needed to make end-system driven QoS work, and then they abandonned
it.

--
Michael Richardson <mcr+IETF at sandelman.ca>, Sandelman Software Works
 -= IPv6 IoT consulting =-