[Bloat] Does it makes sense to shape traffic with 16Kbit/s up and 16Kbit/s down?

Richard Fröhning misanthropos at gmx.de
Tue May 5 03:25:27 EDT 2020

On Mon, 4 May 2020 18:51:59 +0300
Jonathan Morton <chromatix99 at gmail.com> wrote:

> You should set the qdisc and those options on the *physical* device,
> not the one that carries your uncompressed data.  Don't forget to set
> up ingress shaping as well as egress.

Not sure what you are trying to say here.
The physical interface is usb0 and it carries uncompressed data - the
tun0 interface however is compressing the data.
Another point would be to the shaper all traffic looks the same if I
use OpenVPN and shape the physical interface. So I should shape the
tun0 interface and let all traffic go through it.

I can set max mtu in OpenVPN too. So correct me if I am wrong, but I
think I should shape the tun0 interface.

Richard