[Bloat] configuration on an OpenVPN server

Matt Taggart matt at lackof.org
Wed Nov 18 21:49:36 EST 2020

Hi,

I would like to configure SQM on an OpenVPN server and I am thinking
about how to do this. I have already setup piece_of_cake on the upstream
connection(in this case 900Mbit down/250Mbit up). I think that by itself
should do a decent job of keeping things fair between all the VPN
clients: they are assigned private IPs and triple-isolate should do the
right thing.

But OpenVPN creates a tun device for that traffic and I could
potentially do more to manage the VPN traffic separately from the server
host traffic. One thing that occurred to me is that due to asymmetric
upload/download the host has, and the fact that the VPN traffic has to
go to/from the client, maybe the download rate of the tun device will
never exceed the upload rate of the host (since we need to retransmit
that data to the clients) and vice versa for the upload? So to force
myself to be a bottleneck should I have qdiscs on the tun device
limiting to ~240Mbit in each direction?

Hopefully that is clear. Let me know if it's not. Also anything else I
should consider in this situation?

I don't have much control of the VPN client hosts, but I could recommend
openvpn settings if there is anything that would help (can you turn on
ecn there, etc?)

Thanks,

--
Matt Taggart