[Bloat] configuration on an OpenVPN server

Michael Richardson mcr+ietf at sandelman.ca
Thu Nov 19 03:27:28 EST 2020

Matt Taggart <matt at lackof.org> wrote:
    > I would like to configure SQM on an OpenVPN server and I am thinking about
    > how to do this. I have already setup piece_of_cake on the upstream
    > connection(in this case 900Mbit down/250Mbit up). I think that by itself
    > should do a decent job of keeping things fair between all the VPN clients:
    > they are assigned private IPs and triple-isolate should do the right
    > thing.

But, on the clients it would be nice to autoconfigure what their slice of
this is!  To do this nicely, really, one needs some bandwidth estimators that
can be placed on the outside of the encrypted packets.

    > I don't have much control of the VPN client hosts, but I could recommend
    > openvpn settings if there is anything that would help (can you turn on ecn
    > there, etc?)

Communicating the estimates should ideally be part of the OpenVPN protocol.

--
Michael Richardson <mcr+IETF at sandelman.ca>   . o O ( IPv6 IøT consulting )