[Bloat] Dumb question time 1: using upload and download speeds from dslreports

Jonathan Morton chromatix99 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 4 12:31:39 EDT 2020

> On 4 Oct, 2020, at 6:25 pm, Dave Collier-Brown <dave.collier-brown at indexexchange.com> wrote:
>
> When setting my laptop to explicitly use CAKE for an article- and
> recipe-writing effort, I blithely took the download speed and stuffed it
> into
>
>    tc qdisc replace dev enp0s25 root cake docsis ack-filter bandwidth
> 179mbit
>
> When Iván Baldo kindly suggested I mention ingress, it suddenly struck
> me: I was using the downstream/ingress value for my upstream setting!
>
> Should I not be using my upload speed, some 13mbit, not 179 ???

For ingress traffic (usually the download direction), you need to redirect the ingress traffic to an IFB device and attach an ingress-configured Cake instance there.  You would use "ingress" instead of "ack-filter" and your download bandwidth.

For egress traffic you should indeed use the upload speed.

 - Jonathan Morton