[Bloat] Dumb question time 1: using upload and download speeds from dslreports

Dave Collier-Brown dave.collier-brown at indexexchange.com
Sun Oct 4 12:44:08 EDT 2020

Phew, thanks! --dave

On 2020-10-04 12:31 p.m., Jonathan Morton wrote:

On 4 Oct, 2020, at 6:25 pm, Dave Collier-Brown <dave.collier-brown at indexexchange.com><mailto:dave.collier-brown at indexexchange.com> wrote:

When setting my laptop to explicitly use CAKE for an article- and
recipe-writing effort, I blithely took the download speed and stuffed it
into

   tc qdisc replace dev enp0s25 root cake docsis ack-filter bandwidth
179mbit

When Iván Baldo kindly suggested I mention ingress, it suddenly struck
me: I was using the downstream/ingress value for my upstream setting!

Should I not be using my upload speed, some 13mbit, not 179 ???

For ingress traffic (usually the download direction), you need to redirect the ingress traffic to an IFB device and attach an ingress-configured Cake instance there.  You would use "ingress" instead of "ack-filter" and your download bandwidth.

For egress traffic you should indeed use the upload speed.

 - Jonathan Morton

dave.collier-brown at indexexchange.com<mailto:dave.collier-brown at indexexchange.com> |              -- Mark Twain

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE AND DISCLAIMER : This telecommunication, including any and all attachments, contains confidential information intended only for the person(s) to whom it is addressed. Any dissemination, distribution, copying or disclosure is strictly prohibited and is not a waiver of confidentiality. If you have received this telecommunication in error, please notify the sender immediately by return electronic mail and delete the message from your inbox and deleted items folders. This telecommunication does not constitute an express or implied agreement to conduct transactions by electronic means, nor does it constitute a contract offer, a contract amendment or an acceptance of a contract offer. Contract terms contained in this telecommunication are subject to legal review and the completion of formal documentation and are not binding until same is confirmed in writing and has been signed by an authorized signatory.