[Bloat] How about a topical LWN article on demonstrating the real-world goodness of CAKE?

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Sat Sep 5 14:52:10 EDT 2020

I note that.I pretty much took the summer off. And I'm trying to get
started again. Did this article come off?

On Sun, Aug 9, 2020 at 11:27 AM David Collier-Brown <davecb.42 at gmail.com> wrote:

>   I suspect not enough people are aware of the later efforts of the
> bufferbloat team, so I'm thinking of one or two articles, starting with
> LWN and an audience of aficionados.
>
> The core community is aware of what we've done, but in my view we
> haven't converted "grandma". Grandma, as well as a whole bunch of
> ordinary engineers and partners of engineers, are dependent on debloated
> performance because they're working at home now, and competing with
> granddaughter playing video games while they're trying to hold a video call.
>
> Right now, my colleagues at work suffer from more than a second of
> bloat-related lag. They therefore tend to speak over each other on
> con-calls, apologize, start again and talk over each other, again. After
> a little while, the picture becomes a distinctly silly one: a bunch of
> grown adults putting their hands up and waving, like little kids in
> school. No-one has called out “me, me, teacher” yet, but I expect it any
> time.
>
> I propose we show the results in terms that we can explain to Grandma,
> specifically concentrating on functioning VOIP. I just upgraded to
> Fedora 31, and the networking is absolutely stock, so I make a perfect
> victim/guinea-pig (;-))
>
> Who's interested?
>

> --dave
> --
> David Collier-Brown,                     | Always do right. This will
> gratify
> System Programmer and Author | some people and astonish the rest
> davecb at spamcop.net                  |                      -- Mark Twain

"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public
relations, for Mother Nature cannot be fooled" - Richard Feynman

dave at taht.net <Dave Täht> CTO, TekLibre, LLC Tel: 1-831-435-0729