[Bloat] How about a topical LWN article on demonstrating the real-world goodness of CAKE?

Dave Collier-Brown dave.collier-brown at indexexchange.com
Thu Sep 10 12:52:52 EDT 2020

Thanks, I may take you up on that, but I still have some blockers to work through with my victims^h^h^h^h^h^h^h colleagues at work. (;-))

--dave

On 2020-09-10 11:08 a.m., Anthony Minessale II wrote:
Still willing to host a call on SignalWire Work if you want to check it out.
I barely use this email addr so I keep forgetting to check it.

On Tue, Sep 8, 2020 at 12:09 PM Jonathan Morton <chromatix99 at gmail.com<mailto:chromatix99 at gmail.com>> wrote:
> On 8 Sep, 2020, at 7:48 pm, Matt Mathis via Bloat <bloat at lists.bufferbloat.net<mailto:bloat at lists.bufferbloat.net>> wrote:
>
> To be simplistic, you might just talk about cake vs (bloated) drop tail.  To be thorough, you also need to make the case that cake is better than other AQMs.  This feels like too much for LWN, but silence on other solutions might trigger skeptics.

Personally, my position is:

1: Bloated dumb FIFOs are terrible.

2: Basic AQM is good.  This can be as simple as TBF+WRED; it solves a large part of the basic problem by eliminating multi-second queue delays.  In some cases this can solve very serious problems, such as DNS lookups failing when the link is loaded, quite adequately.  Properly configured, you can keep queue delays below the 100ms threshold for reasonable VoIP performance.

3: FQ-AQM is better.  That generally means HTB+fq_codel, but other forms of this exist.  It means essentially zero added delay for non-saturating flows.  It's an easy way to make DNS, VoIP and online gaming work nicely without having to restrict data-hungry applications.

4: Cake offers some extra tools and aims to be easier (more intuitive) to configure.  Currently, it is the best solution for slow and medium-speed broadband (up to 100Mbps), and can also be used at higher speeds with some care, mostly regarding device performance.

 - Jonathan Morton

--

[Inline image 1]

Anthony Minessale II | President

FreeSWITCH Solutions | 17345 Civic Drive #2531 Brookfield, WI 53045<https://maps.google.com/?q=17345+Civic+Drive+%232531+Brookfield,+WI+53045&entry=gmail&source=g>

Email: anthm at freeswitch.com<mailto:anthm at freeswitch.com>

Mobile: +12623098501<tel:+12623098501>

Website: https://www.FreeSWITCH.com<https://www.freeswitch.com/>

[color-facebook-96.png]<https://www.facebook.com/freeswitch/>[color-twitter-96.png]<https://twitter.com/freeswitch?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor>

dave.collier-brown at indexexchange.com<mailto:dave.collier-brown at indexexchange.com> |              -- Mark Twain

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE AND DISCLAIMER : This telecommunication, including any and all attachments, contains confidential information intended only for the person(s) to whom it is addressed. Any dissemination, distribution, copying or disclosure is strictly prohibited and is not a waiver of confidentiality. If you have received this telecommunication in error, please notify the sender immediately by return electronic mail and delete the message from your inbox and deleted items folders. This telecommunication does not constitute an express or implied agreement to conduct transactions by electronic means, nor does it constitute a contract offer, a contract amendment or an acceptance of a contract offer. Contract terms contained in this telecommunication are subject to legal review and the completion of formal documentation and are not binding until same is confirmed in writing and has been signed by an authorized signatory.