[Bloat] Sidebar re illustrating quality (was: New Version Notification for draft-cpaasch-ippm-responsiveness-00.txt)

Dave Collier-Brown dave.collier-brown at indexexchange.com
Thu Aug 19 13:50:01 EDT 2021

On 2021-08-19 11:48 a.m., Christoph Paasch via Bloat wrote:

> I agree. Just measuring RPM is not useful. As one can have excellent RPM but
> still have an Internet connection that is barely usable.
>
> However, I still believe that a single score for the user would be great
> (that score would not be RPM though). This score should group together a
> large list of network-properties (RPM, goodput, idle latency, protocol
> conformance,...) and express a value of utility to the user that express how
> its user-experience is affected. It would make it much easier for non-technical
> users to compare the quality of their Internet without just focusing on a
> single throughput-metric.
>
> But that is a different topic than RPM ;-)

I can't actually draw a picture of it here, but there's a good way to
show multiple limiting factor graphically. One is with a bucket,
http://www.imthird.org/the-limiting-factor-concept, but for comparisons
I like a simpler one

For an example, imagine a large letter "Y" with the stem labelled
"throughput", one arm labelled "latency" and the other "RPM". There's  a
dotted-line circle drawn over it so that the two arms touch the circle,
and the stem sticks out through it.

The diameter of the circle is the "goodness" of the connection, and you
can line up diagrams like this for Bell, Rogers and Telus and see that
they all have fine throughput but lousy latency and RPM. And it extends
to multiple dimensions as well as multiple suppliers, so you could have
a five-legged Y if you wanted. I like three, myself.

I first saw this used for nutrients in the first edition of "Diet for a
Small Planet", but the editors found it too nerdy and talked the author
into taking it out (:-()

--dave

dave.collier-brown at indexexchange.com |              -- Mark Twain

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE AND DISCLAIMER : This telecommunication, including any and all attachments, contains confidential information intended only for the person(s) to whom it is addressed. Any dissemination, distribution, copying or disclosure is strictly prohibited and is not a waiver of confidentiality. If you have received this telecommunication in error, please notify the sender immediately by return electronic mail and delete the message from your inbox and deleted items folders. This telecommunication does not constitute an express or implied agreement to conduct transactions by electronic means, nor does it constitute a contract offer, a contract amendment or an acceptance of a contract offer. Contract terms contained in this telecommunication are subject to legal review and the completion of formal documentation and are not binding until same is confirmed in writing and has been signed by an authorized signatory.