[Bloat] Sidebar re illustrating quality (was: New Version Notification for draft-cpaasch-ippm-responsiveness-00.txt)

Kenneth Porter shiva at sewingwitch.com
Thu Aug 19 17:17:15 EDT 2021

--On Thursday, August 19, 2021 2:50 PM -0400 Dave Collier-Brown
<dave.collier-brown at indexexchange.com> wrote:

> I can't actually draw a picture of it here, but there's a good way to
> show multiple limiting factor graphically. One is with a bucket,
> http://www.imthird.org/the-limiting-factor-concept, but for comparisons
> I like a simpler one
>
> For an example, imagine a large letter "Y" with the stem labelled
> "throughput", one arm labelled "latency" and the other "RPM". There's  a
> dotted-line circle drawn over it so that the two arms touch the circle,
> and the stem sticks out through it.
>
> The diameter of the circle is the "goodness" of the connection, and you
> can line up diagrams like this for Bell, Rogers and Telus and see that
> they all have fine throughput but lousy latency and RPM. And it extends
> to multiple dimensions as well as multiple suppliers, so you could have
> a five-legged Y if you wanted. I like three, myself.
>
> I first saw this used for nutrients in the first edition of "Diet for a
> Small Planet", but the editors found it too nerdy and talked the author
> into taking it out (:-()

American innumeracy is so frustrating.

Do you have a link to the "Y" illustration? I'm having trouble visualizing
it. Is the Y inverted? I don't understand what you mean by the stem going
through the circle if the arms are touching it, or what the stem means.