[Bloat] Sidebar re illustrating quality (was: New Version Notification for draft-cpaasch-ippm-responsiveness-00.txt)

Erik Auerswald auerswal at unix-ag.uni-kl.de
Sat Aug 21 06:23:00 EDT 2021

Hi,

On Thu, Aug 19, 2021 at 01:50:01PM -0400, Dave Collier-Brown wrote:

> I can't actually draw a picture of it here, but there's a good way to
> show multiple limiting factor graphically. One is with a bucket,
> http://www.imthird.org/the-limiting-factor-concept, but for comparisons
> I like a simpler one
>
> For an example, imagine a large letter "Y" with the stem labelled
> "throughput", one arm labelled "latency" and the other "RPM". There's  a
> dotted-line circle drawn over it so that the two arms touch the circle,
> and the stem sticks out through it.

Those both have the problem that both throughput and RPM are "the higher
the better", while latency is "the lower the better."

Perhaps the idea of a "score" (e.g., A through F) assigned to each
individual metric that is then combined to produce an "overall score" is
not that bad?  It is not perfect, it hides details, and it cannot please
everyone, but might be useful.

(I personally always want to see the base values and the method to
comupte both the individual and the overall score, so I can assess the
applicability of the score to my requirements.)

Thanks,
Erik
--
It's impossible to learn very much by simply sitting in a lecture,
or even by simply doing problems that are assigned.