[Bloat] Sidebar re illustrating quality (was: New Version Notification for draft-cpaasch-ippm-responsiveness-00.txt)

Sebastian Moeller moeller0 at gmx.de
Sat Aug 21 07:01:17 EDT 2021

So here is my take,

to assess the usefulness of an internet access link (any link probably, but being an end user myself, I want to limit myself to where I have first hand experience) there are a number of easier/harder to get numbers:

1) access rate: easy to measure (at least as HTTPS/TCP/IP goodput, gross rate of the bottleneck link is considerable harder to deduce)

2) latency to the end-point under test: also easy to measure (simply by running an ICMP probe stream before and during a speedtest; also some more enlightened speedtests already report both RTTs)
	 IMHO that actually should be a tuple of
	latency without load RTT(unloaded) , and latency under saturating conditions RTT(saturated)
	=> if both numbers exist, the difference RTT(saturated) - RTT(unloaded) = Latency under load increase (LULI ;)) can be calculated
		which is a proxy of the level of latency degradation a user can expect as a function of load.

3) latency variation/jitter: also reasonable easy to measure with tools like MTR. Quite a number of use-cases work well with moderately high, but static RTTs but deteriorate quickly if the latency becomes too variable
	(Some access technologies, like WiFi or DOCSIS are prone to introduce jitter, as is XDSL when ITU G.998.4 G.INP retransmissions enter the picture)

4) packet loss: relatively hard to measure, but some tools like iperf seem to report retransmissions,

5) packet re-ordering: hard to measure (IIUC) if severe enough this will manifest as apparent packet loss/replay attack

RPM. IMHO is nice additional way to address 2) above, but personally, I am less interested in how many hypothetical transactions I could perform per second as compared to how long each takes, as the latter still allows me to make reasonable guesses of completion time if I issue transactions in parallel, and the LULI measure can be reasonably compared with what ever latency budget a given task has.

Any attempt as trying to display all these five in one consistent plot is IMHO challenging, because such a plot should use a scale of equal severity for all its axis, otherwise it becomes really hard to parse as an aggregate, no?

Regards