[Bloat] Slowly ... slowly ... the word is getting out...

Rich Brown richb.hanover at gmail.com
Fri Aug 27 10:25:03 EDT 2021

Yet another anecdote: Google Alerts for "bufferbloat" showed me this: https://www.reddit.com/r/Xiaomi/comments/pb7jpc/bufferbloat_latency_while_streaming_on_mi_aiot/

> > ... Currently, I am using the Mi R3 (very old) and while it is better than my ISP's one that doesn't even have QoS, it's not amazing like fq_codel or cake...

> ... Short answer: no, not even close to fq-codel, and qos is mostly garbage...

Five (or maybe even two) years ago, the comments would have been virulently pro-QoS, impugning your manhood for not getting it set up properly for whatever combination of games, apps, etc. you were running.

Now people on Reddit are actively talking about SQM as the right solution to the problem. Maybe the tide is turning.

Rich

PS That doesn't mean that we should stop blowing our own horn on this, trying to spread the word more broadly...