[Bloat] DSLReports Speed Test doesn't like Remote Desktop

Kenneth Porter shiva at sewingwitch.com
Fri Aug 27 11:36:59 EDT 2021

--On Friday, August 27, 2021 2:18 PM +0300 Jonathan Morton
<chromatix99 at gmail.com> wrote:

> A browser-based speed test like DSLreports depends heavily on the
> responsiveness of the browser itself.  It would appear that RDP
> interferes with that quite spectacularly, although I'm unsure exactly
> why.  The only advice I can give is "don't do that, then".

I've gotten good numbers from Xfinity's own speed test, and the Waveform
test shows what I expect. I'm pretty sure I've gotten reasonable numbers
from DSLReports in the past year, so this week's DSLReports test was quite
surprising in sucking so badly. I did check the "low-fi" option to disable
browser animations (and yet still got animations) so maybe DSLReports broke
that and is trying to do browser animations in the same thread as the speed
test.

I almost never have a problem with app responsiveness over the RDP
connection, including Youtube on my 4k screen at 60 Hz. The one thing I
don't virtualize is 3D stuff, notably gaming. It's actually impressive just
how much stuff "just works" over RDP. (The two boxes ARE connected by only
a 1 Gbit switch.)