[Bloat] slashdotted

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Tue Dec 7 09:40:49 EST 2021

slashdot is a language understood by mgmt?

One poster went and checked his service (got an A on a bufferbloat
report and gave a kudos), another asked a good question about applying
sqm on top of that, the vast majority found something else to complain
about, and several (one especially) put the whole bufferbloat problem
down as a conspiracy by the ISPs to gauge and throttle users, even
when I presented the best data we had (on how much we improved wifi)
about it having been a theory failure.

Well, maybe it is a language understood by mgmt. You have to really
sort through this sort of chaff to find the wheat, This new tool holds
some promise: https://github.com/sylvia-ou/netcheck/issues/1

I hope those that deploy this stuff at scale look at macro-metrics,
like reduced support calls, more than user feedback.

The reddit conversation fared better:
https://www.reddit.com/r/HomeNetworking/comments/r7cfvg/comcast_delivers_90_working_latency_reductions_by/
as did linked in.

As it is, I put in a christmas wish for santa for a flame retardant suit.