[Bloat] HardenedBSD implementation of CAKE

Toke Høiland-Jørgensen toke at toke.dk
Tue Feb 16 06:17:27 EST 2021

"Mark D." <mark4931 at gmail.com> writes:

> Hello all,
> I am wondering if anyone is working on implementing fq_codel or CAKE on the
> HardenedBSD network stack? A few popular firewall and router distributions
> use this OS, and I believe that it would be beneficial for it to have AQM.
> If this work has already been done, please point me to the documentation
> for it. I loved what fq_codel was able to do on my OpenWRT flashed
> off-the-shelf router, and I would love to be able to use it on my x86
> OPNSense box. I am not a developer, but am a user that would love to
> support both the CAKE project and the HardenedBSD project if possible.

Not aware of any effort in this direction. However, the code in the
Linux kernel is dual-licensed GPL/BSD so at least there should be no
licensing impediments to porting. I believe that is how fq_codel ended
up in BSD.

CAKE does rely on quite a few kernel internals, though, so it would take
someone with integral BSD kernel knowledge to port it to their
equivalents there; in that sense it's not a trivial project...

-Toke