[Bloat] Thanks to developers / htb+fq_codel ISP shaper

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Wed Jan 20 23:25:58 EST 2021

Thank you robert, but way more than dozens of folk were and remain more involved
in the effort. For starters Jim Gettys fired it all up, and like him,
I'm mostly retreated to
the sidelines, working on other things. Perhaps in 2021, with a new
administration
and FCC chair, and so many families stuck at home... will be the year
the average user will finally get gear that does more of the right
things, especially for videoconferencing, by default, led by the
smaller ISPs in competitive markets.

I've never figured out how to get the message "more out"; we ran a funding drive
once that got more PR. Half the donations I take from
https://www.patreon.com/dtaht go to keeping the flent servers alive
and the other half buys top ramen. I just lost my
dinghy in a windstorm and can't even get "home" at the moment, and one of
my big frustrations from the harbor vantage point whenever I manage to
get back...

is having to run cake in front of my cell phone in order to make it
behave... and another is to see all the very poor offloads from major
manufacturers that claim an SQM implementation that doesn't actually
work....

But all grousing aside:

THANK YOU VERY MUCH for open sourcing a set of tools that help
out a smaller ISP. We're all in this bloat together, and by sharing
code and ideas
we can make for a faster, more reliable, better internet, for everyone.

I am quite behind on reading the bloat list, and this thread made my day.

thx

On Thu, Jan 14, 2021 at 9:59 AM Robert Chacon
<robert.chacon at jackrabbitwireless.com> wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I am new here, my name is Robert. I operate a small ISP in the US. I wanted to post here to thank Dave Täht, as well as the dozens of contributors to the fq_codel and cake projects.
>
> I created a simple python application that uses htb+fq_codel to shape my customers' traffic, and have seen great performance improvements. I am maintaining it as an open source project for other ISPs to use at https://github.com/rchac/LibreQoS
>
> Mostly I just wanted to thank Dave and everyone else here for working to make fq_codel and cake possible. These are hugely helpful projects that have helped improve our network, and thousands of other networks around the world. Looking at discussions from fellow ISPs who use Preseem and Sensei, which use fq_codel, small ISP networks across the world are hugely benefiting from fq_codel. They are now able to retain customers who would have otherwise been lost - thanks to fq_codel and the many optimizations you all made possible. I hope more ISPs are able to deploy fq_codel and/or cake using our tool or commercial applications like Preseem and Sensei. Amid COVID, fq_codel is really important for keeping work-from-home and remote learning connectivity stable. Thank you all!
>
> Thanks,
> Robert Chacon

"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public
relations, for Mother Nature cannot be fooled" - Richard Feynman

dave at taht.net <Dave Täht> CTO, TekLibre, LLC Tel: 1-831-435-0729