[Bloat] Thanks to developers / htb+fq_codel ISP shaper

Robert Chacon robert.chacon at jackrabbitwireless.com
Thu Jan 21 00:44:05 EST 2021

I can assure you, it's making a real difference for our customers. On the
"WISP Talk" facebook group dozens of small ISPs like ours regularly report
the improvements fq_codel has had on their networks and customer retention
(Preseem, Sensei).
In our case, most of our customers recently switched to us from the
incumbent telco - a major company with higher bandwidth offerings but also
high pricing.
We mostly use 802.11ac PtMP radios, which *should* mean lots of latency
spikes and odd performance in such a noisy 5GHz environment.
Fq_codel has really stabilized performance of our links, and qdisc stats
have been able to help us to track down problematic connections before the
customer knows anything is wrong.
Amazingly, nearly every one of our subscribers describes having a more
stable video conferencing experience than with the incumbent - since we
added fq_codel.
It offers small ISPs like ours a unique competitive advantage, while also
alleviating headaches for many families who were having performance issues
on other providers at the start of the pandemic when everything switched to
video conferencing.

I'm very sorry about the dinghy. I can imagine that's stressful so I hope
you're able to find a good replacement ASAP.
I'm going to post about LibreQoS on some ISP forums I frequent and see if
we can't get some modest contributions to the patreon.
A good deal of us small ISP operators owe a great deal to linux traffic
control and all these related open source projects for keeping us going
against the big guys.
Your work has put bloat and network performance in the spotlight and helped
bring many disparate devs and stakeholders together to make linux tc work
well.
Given how many ISPs pay $5000+/yr for proprietary wrappers for
htb+fq_codel, I am hopeful they'll see the value in supporting long term
advances in linux networking, and contribute back!

As someone who makes music on linux myself (bitwig mostly, which connects
to JACK) I am very excited to mess with JackTrip. How neat! Also thank you
for familiarizing me with Galene - I had always hoped more webrtc related
p2p video platforms would take off and I'm going to keep an eye on it.
Everyone could benefit from p2p and decentralization there, plus us ISPs
would stop getting yelled at when Zoom servers go down haha.

I will check the ecn mark vs drop stats tomorrow and see what they are at.

--
[image: photograph]

*Robert Chacón* Owner
*M* (915) 730-1472